The Secrets of Chakra Massage
As a massage therapist, you provide services that promote relaxation, pain relief, and overall wellness. What would happen if you took the next step and incorporated energy work into your massage therapy practice? This is called chakra massage.
HICI Go is an online center that hosts a diverse catalog of health and beauty courses online for people anywhere in the U.S. With massage courses available online and in person at our partnering institutions in Florida and other states, you can access the instruction you need to grow your skills for personal use or to expand your opportunities in the industry.
Energy Healing 101: The Seven Chakras
Each chakra marks a different energy center in the body and is in alignment with the spine. Some people see the chakras purely as energy, while others link them to major endocrine glands. When they work together, they promote overall well-being. Along with relating to a particular color or natural element, they also represent specific traits, feelings, nerves, and organs. The seven primary chakras are:
- Root chakra: The primary source of energy, Muladhara, is located at the base of the spine and is associated with a connection to the world and feelings of survival.
- Sacral chakra: Svadhisthana is located below the belly button and is linked to creativity, sexual energy, and compassion.
- Solar plexus chakra: Manipura is found between the ribcage and belly button and is tied to self-esteem, confidence, and ego.
- Heart chakra: At the center of the chest, Anahata connects the lower and upper chakras and is associated with trust, passion, and a love of self and others.
- Throat chakra: Vishuddha represents verbal communication and self-expression.
- Third-eye chakra: Located between the eyebrows, Ajna is tied to wisdom, spiritual power, and intuition.
- Crown chakra: Sahasrara, or the lotus of a thousand petals, is at the top of the head – it represents the spiritual connection between you, other people, and the universe.
In Sanskrit, Chakra translates to “wheel” or “disk” and is thought of as spinning bundles of free-flowing, positive energy. If one gets blocked, the person may experience physical or emotional symptoms that relate to that energy source. For example, if the solar plexus chakra (Manipura) is imbalanced, it manifests as depression, low self-esteem, or digestive issues. It’s believed that maintaining energy flow and balance contributes to your overall health and wellness, and misalignment is treatable.
Using Massage to Balance Energy
Unleashing the power of chakra healing can be done in many ways, such as through mantra, yoga, and meditation. However, another highly effective method is massage. Each energy point is responsive to touch, allowing a chakra-balancing massage to nurture harmony between the mind, body, and spirit. For massage therapists and other practitioners, this can be done with the following:
- Thai massage: Also thought of as “assisted yoga,” Thai massage can help open the chakras.
- Reiki massage: Reiki is believed to be a powerful energy healing technique that promotes balance, relaxation, and wellness.
- Reflexology: By applying gentle pressure to targeted areas on the foot, practitioners can relieve corresponding organs or body parts and maintain the flow of energy.
- Hot stone massage: Using warm, smooth stones, massage therapists can help rebalance the chakras.
While many types of massage focus on the musculoskeletal system, stress relief, or specific problem areas, chakra massage brings an element of intentionality. Blending massage styles with spiritual healing practices can be done seamlessly, incorporating it into specific movements and transitions or at the end of a session. The first step is to learn more about the chakras and how to best integrate them into your style.
Take Chakra Massage Classes at HICI Go
To learn chakra massage and incorporate energy work, view the courses at HICI Go. Our user-friendly platform makes it easy for you to shop for courses. Open to professionals and the public, our courses help people expand their skill sets, grow their businesses, and fuel their interests. Our courses cover topics such as:
- Chakra and aura basics
- How chakras affect the mind and body
- How to assess your clients’ chakras
- Energy-balancing techniques
- Incorporating energy work into other modalities and services
- Creating a positive environment for clients
Our diverse range of live webinars and video courses is available to massage therapists and casual learners across the United States. Plus, in-person instruction is provided through our partner schools, Cortiva Institute and Hollywood Institute, in Florida, Connecticut, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Texas. For the most current information on our chakra massage continuing education classes, contact us today.